Indian Garden owner sentenced over fatal peanut allergy

A restaurant owner has been sentenced after being found guilty of manslaughter, after a customer died from an allergic reaction to a curry.

Paul Wilson died in January 2014 from a fatal anaphylactic shock after eating a curry from the Indian Garden, Easingwold North Yorkshire.

Indian restaurant owner Mohammed Zaman has been jailed for six years after being found guilty at Teesside Crown Court.

It was discovered that debt-ridden Zaman failed to inform customers that he replaced almonds powder with a cheaper groundnut mix that contained peanuts to cut costs.

Mr Wilson from Helperby North Yorkshire, suffered from an extreme allergy to peanuts and specified “no nuts” after he ordered a chicken tikka masala at the restaurant, his request had been wrote on both lid and order form.

Mr Wilson was found slumped in his bathroom hours after eating the takeaway, his death came three weeks after a seventeen year old customer was rushed into hospital for medical treatment after suffering a serious allergic reaction to peanuts.

During the sentencing the judge told Mr Zaman: “You have done so in such a manner as to bring about the death of another individual. Paul Wilson was in the prime of his life. He, like you, worked in the catering trade. He, unlike you, was a careful man.”

Posted on May 25th, 2016 in News

Contact Us

ESN Solicitors

267-271 High Street

Erdington, Birmingham

B23 6SR

T: 0121 377 7773

F: 0121 377 6621

E: info@esnsolicitors.com

Social Media

Contact Us

ESN Solicitors

267-271 High Street

Erdington, Birmingham

B23 6SR

T: 0121 377 7773

F: 0121 377 6621

E: info@esnsolicitors.co.uk

Social Media

A List of our Partners is available for inspection at our Registered Office.

We are authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Solicitors Regulation Authority Number is 441787

Copyright 2019 ESN Solicitors